Monday, March 5, 2012

DUDE, put down the doughnut!!!


DUDE, put down the doughnut!!!

Many of us have used food for so many other reasons than for nourishing our bodies. We rarely consider what really feeds our soul. We often eat to celebrate, soothe damaged feelings, cover up emotions we don't want to deal with, and simply to zone out on life. It's time to put down the spoon and find out what really moves you.
Do you like to do things in a group? Maybe you should join a league. Are you craving some time to get centered and relaxed? Take up running or try some yoga classes. Does it make you feel powerful to kick and punch? Try a martial arts class or take up kickboxing. Does nature call to you? Walking and hiking are great forms of exercise.

non-food related rewards

I found some great ideas for rewarding yourself with, that don’t require food. We have been so trained by family gatherings, birthdays, and holidays to enjoy those foods that have gotten us so fat. I for one have had enough. I am celebrating my 30th birthday this month. I do not plan on pigging out to celebrate. That is not me anymore. I have changed my mind set. I have goals to get healthy and active. Pigging out on high calorie desserts or dinners does not fit into the plan anymore. I want to celebrate with an activity, like a date night with my husband. I have been talking about going snowshoeing for years; maybe this is the month to do it!

Here are some great rewards I have found for weight loss milestones:

- Purchase a charm bracelet (you can get a sterling silver one for less than $20) and add a charm for every 5 or 10 pounds lost. A way to make this even more effective is to tell those you see regularly what the meaning of the bracelet is. This will keep you accountable since you will know they will be looking to see how many charms you have the next time they see you! I personally plan on doing this one.

Money Jar Place a jar on the kitchen counter or your desk at work and place a penny, quarter, or dollar in it for every pound lost each week. The growing collection of money will be a visual reminder of what you've accomplished and get you juiced for adding to it.


- Buy yourself a cool new t-shirt to wear to workout in. There is a nearly endless supply of  shirts on the web or you can have your own saying or design emblazoned across your chest or back!

-Pamper yourself Treat yourself to a massage or mani-pedi. Go to a new hairstylist and get a new "do". Get something waxed! Update your style to go with your new hot bod!

- Add to your music collection Download new music to your MP3 player. It can be heart-pumping music to add some zing to your workouts or something soothing to relax you at the end of a tough day.

- Plan a mini vacation  Do something fun in your area, like visit a museum, catch a baseball game, or take a walking tour of your nearest city (great exercise too!)


Don’t forget those non weight related goals you have set for yourself

Instead of just rewarding yourself for pounds lost. Reward yourself for other goals. Reward yourself to sticking to your commitment. Sometimes we can do everything right. We stay within our calorie allowance every day; we don’t miss a workout, and the scale doesn’t budge. How frustrating! You still deserve a payoff for doing what you promised yourself you would do. It might be even better to reward at these times since we need that extra umph to keep it up till the scale moves again!

My fitness goal: 90 days of fitness. 90 days of tracking my calories. I am 20 days in and going strong! Have I had days I grumbled through my workouts? Yes of course. Have I been tempted by foods I shouldn’t have? A little, but I don’t consider any food off limits. Just remember, everything in moderation, and within your calorie budget. I have set rewards at each 30 days of my goal. In 10 days I am going to order a shirt I have been wanting. In 60 days I am treating myself to a pedicure. In 90 days I am buying a new outfit to celebrate my new slimmer body! Stay tuned, I’ll keep you updated.

What are some of your favorite non-food rewards? Have you used any to reach your weight loss goals? I’d love to hear your ideas, Please comment below.




Have a Happy Healthy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment