Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Words To Live By




Exercise to be fit, not skinny.

I know the turning point in my journey was when I decided my health was more important than getting into the skinny jeans collecting dust in my closet. Granted, I would LOVE to get into those jeans. What I enjoy more is the strength I am developing. The best is seeing my biceps growing! I love to do my cardio workouts; I now can run and play with my kids at the park. I am not the mom who is sitting on the bench waiting to go home.  I don’t just veg out on the couch all day.  I clean my house, play with the kids, get an hours’ worth of workouts done, write this blog, return phone calls and emails, and take care of two to three kids all day depending if my friends’ daughter is with me for the day.  (Wow, I am a little tired just thinking about it.) There is also volunteer work, time with friends, and time with my husband.  I don’t know how I did it all before I added the exercise.  What I do know is I am not as cranky, and have a lot more energy. It has been the key to a happier me.

Eat to nourish your body.

I have been focused on my eating habits for a few months now.  I can’t remember the last time I went to McDonalds. It used to be twice a week if not more. What I have noticed with this change to a daily diet of fruit, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, lots of water and my daily shakeology, is I feel so much better and can eat a lot more food! I love asparagus; it only has 20 calories per serving!! I could eat it every day. Spinach is another high volume low calorie food that I eat on a regular basis. My new favorite thing is the vegetable steamers you find in the freezer section. The choices are becoming endless. I like to make a batch of small turkey patties on the weekend and store them in the fridge. I will heat up one or two and a veggie steamer and have a wonderful tasting 300 to 400 calorie lunch that fills a large soup bowl. I am eating more food with fewer calories. The best part is the crappy food I was eating before is awful now. Cheetos, yuck! Candy bar, it will make me feel bad and hurt my teeth.

Ignore the haters, doubters, and unhealthy examples that were once feeding you.

How many times have you had people pressure you to eat something you knew was bad for you? “Oh come on its just one bite” (that leads to the whole pie!)  Or “we don’t need to walk let’s take the car”. Or “park closer to the store”, or “there is an elevator let’s take that!” The one I really hate is when you share your new way of life with friends or family and they sabotage you. “You can’t do that, you haven’t followed thru before. What make this time different?”   Or “you have been working out a lot, why are you still so chunky?”  The hardest part is changing how you interact with old friends. The one who always wanted to go out for ice cream or brought goodies they made because they didn’t want them at their house. The one who you enjoyed going to the movies with, but you loaded up on treats you wouldn’t eat now. Hopefully those people will be supportive of your new life style, but sometimes it shines a light on what they are doing wrong and they are not ready to make the changes you are.

YOU are worth more than you realize.

What do you think about when you think of yourself? Sometimes I really wish people could see themselves through other people’s eyes. I know a few people who are just amazing. Incredibly talented, or have recovered from a traumatic injury and they can’t see the amazing gift they have or the strength and determination they possess. The rest of the world sees them as the astonishing people they are. All they can see are the flaws they perceive. YOU are worth more than you realize. YOU are someone worth fighting for. YOU deserve to live a life you are proud of.  I am taken steps toward my new life of health and happiness. Are you ready to join me?

Have a Healthy Happy day!


No comments:

Post a Comment